Saturday, May 12, 2012

Miscellaneous Photos

a candid photo of us meeting the ambassador (read:waiting in line for the restroom)
We had a "field day" in Thanë one afternoon.  Shumë qef (much fun).  Luis attempted to make a tent.  (Note the bunkers high up on the hill.)

I think the tent stood for about 30 minutes...
If you squint, you can read the wine label.  It says Sara, which apparently is the name for everything amazing in this country, including a national park.  :) 

We had to fish the frisbee out of the gross stream a lot.  It was a mini-adventure.

After a while, some local kids showed up and asked us to play football with them.  Liila represented American women phenomenally.  And got a huge bruise to show for it. 
Poppies are in bloom all over Albania.  Gorgeous.

I came home one afternoon and found the kitties exploring my balcony. 

so cute and so sneaky

I just can't resist sharing these kitten photos.  Sorry.

I like to wander around behind the castle walls in Elbasan.  Supposedly this road dates from Roman times. 

Which road to try today?

An EU grant is allowing Elbasan to restore this ancient road.

They are making speedy progress.
View of Elbasan.  See the old castle walls?

Someone wiser than I pointed out the contradiction in advertising logos here.

We took a hike in neighboring Kuqan one afternoon.  Good times.

a view of the valley where we live outside Elbasan

the Thanë side of the valley
life is so hard for these Albanian kittens


Communist-era plaques and statues are sprinkled throughout Albania.

This poster hangs in the PC office.

This was my first view of the beach in my future home of Durrës.  Divine. 

I think I shall come here often.  Did I mention I love Posh Corps?

there is a lot of racist advertising in Albania

gotta love Soviet art, and palm trees along the Adriatic
Even though I often think I know no Shqip, I was able to make this homework assignment in about 5 minutes last week without the aid of my book or a dictionary.  I guess we have learned a lot.

We took a hike in Bishqem one Sunday.  Peace Corps will definitely make me fit, so long as I get out of Durrës frequently. 

We tossed around a frisbee and a tennis ball.  It was a lot of fun, but not the best idea when flanked on both sides by steep drop offs.  No photos of our attempted retrievals sadly.
We begin the descent.

9 comments:

  1. Questions/statements for the wise one:

    - Have you been out clubbing yet?
    - Spay those kittens!!
    - Looks beautiful and your homework assignment is adorable. I like how it was written in cursive.
    - Any danger of landmines like Bosnia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been clubbing yet. It's a priority when I move to site in a few weeks and get my life back.

      You will have to come to Albania and spay the kitties. Also, you know those kitten pictures are mostly for you.

      Thanks for calling me out on my childish handwriting. We can't all be Dr. Cleos.

      The only dangers are becoming roadkill. At least those are the only ones I have identified yet

      Delete
  2. arrrrg - I wish I could comment on each picture individually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. përkundrazi! Just efficient because we have so many on which to comment that we will forget if we don't do it right then!

      Delete
  3. I only know of one amazing Sara in Albania :)
    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the photos and the commentary. Any allergic reaction to the kittens--I hope not, so you can enjoy puppies and kittens! Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No allergies yet so long as I keep them off my clothes and wash my hands.

      Delete