Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pictures!

Comparing tans after a day at the river.  I'm not sure if Jay or Liila won this round.

our last movie day in Thanë

Alex lives in the beautiful city of Pogradec.  It sits on gorgeous Lake Ohrid and just across the water is Macedonia. 

Let's hope this was made by bored rebellious youths.  I don't think Al Qaeda's mantra is advertising through graffiti. 

boats of Pogradec (po-grah-detz)

I live on the ground floor of a private house.  My (awesome) landlords live above me.

I have lots of space.  It is much more than I anticipated, especially considering how expensive (relatively) housing is in Durrës.

There is nothing on the walls.  Perhaps I will inherit some art work or posters. 

We have been spending so much time at the beach that I have not really used my kitchen yet.  Hoppfully Kim and I will make use of it this fall and winter.

Not such bad decorations.  I call it "beach grandma chic". 

Since my place is on the ground floor and all tile, it is super cool in the summer.  I may not even need to buy a fan. 

The family just recently updated the house.  It seems a lot more money was put into it than they will get from my rent for two years.  Lucky me. 



I awoke last night to the cat walking across my chest. Apparently it knows how to open the window screens with its paws.  I have to do something about that.

I looove the ample closet space.
These lovely flowers sit outside my front door.
 

I cannot seem to escape cats here in Albania.

the entrance to my new home

I love the poppies here.  Fields are aglow with red blooms in the later spring.  This picture was taken by my host family's house in Thane.

One afternoon Connor and I hiked up a small mountain in Librazhd (lee-brazh-duh)

They have been destroying/exploding bunkers in the area.

Apparently the tops of the bunkers blow off and land a few meters away.  (Here's one on the left side of the photo.) I would love to see that in action.

The hike itself was not difficult, but I was unaccustomed to the altitude.  I was wheezing like an old smoker on the ascent. 

typical farm structures in the mountain villages

Our aim was to make it to this tree.  It looked sizable and mythical from the valley floor.

Connor was great company.  But a very speedy walker. 

We ate a kilo of cherries and a loaf of wheat bread under the tree. 

view of the valley from the mountain top



Albania is a country of great environmental diversity.

I love the old stone fences.
reaxing after a hard day's work


We made friends.  They had food and beers sent to us on the beach.  For free.  I love Albanians. 

I passed this celebration on the way to work one day.  I think it is high school kids dancing in formal wear.  Maybe a dance competition at the end of the school year?

There is an excellent seafood restaurant on the boardwalk by the sea.  We ate there with a visiting volunteer recently and had two appetizers, three entrees, and a dessert for under $50.  And the dessert was free.  Again, I love Albania. 

Deaths are shared with the community on walls a boards throughout the cities.  I am not sure if they are shared by newspapers as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh what delightful pictures! I love the hiking shots and your apartment looks FABULOUS! I am thrilled for you. Waking up to a cat climbing across my chest would have totally undone me. It sounds like you were very calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see photos of the beach and of your "apartment". And sounds like you're keeping life balanced. Is Kim another PC volunteer in Durres--perhaps the only other one besides you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you love Albania! I love & Miss YOU! Keep Blogging!!! We all enjoy the pics and updates. Take Care sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and to think how worried you were about how uncomfortable you 'd be.

    ReplyDelete