Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Random Photos

Liila and me about to leave DC for Shqipëri

the standard-issue Peace Corps medical kit - we are well prepared for minor emergencies

My host family dressed me in traditional clothes. I was initially dreading it, but then didn't really want to take them off. 

The final layer would not close over my bust, and grandmother thought this was hilarious.  In front of everyone, she grabbed my boobs and exclaimed "shumë e madhe" (very big).  Thanks gjyshe. 

attempting traditional dance with some group 13ers 

host dad and brother - delightful

I need much practice with traditional dance.  I will not be posting a video of that anytime soon.  I think the finger is host mom pointing to my poor foot-stepping.  For now I will just smile, laugh, and try to move in the right direction.

full moon in Thanë

another gorgeous sunset

When the sun doesn't shine, certain things don't happen - like hot showers or dry clothes. You must get creative, like using a hairdryer to heat/dry socks on a cold early morning. Also, apparently April is much colder than March. So glad I brought my sleeping bag. 

They grow up so fast...

so freaking cute and snuggly

3 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to check your blog daily Sara to see what new and exciting things are happening in your life. GREAT pics! Must run in the family...yukyuk The country is beautiful that I see in your pics and I can also see that is has its problem areas as we do here. Hard to believe that it is so cold there right now as we are experiencing the beginnings of another long hot summer. Always looking forward to your news. Sending peace and love, you have found happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so beautiful in the traditional dress!! And so happy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to imagine the scene with the boobs with one of your blood-grandmothers!
    Wonderful photos and narratives--thanks for taking the time to blog. Sending virtual hugs and real love.
    BTW, got an offer on Salty Dog and prospect to come next Saturday to inspect.

    ReplyDelete